Friday, March 22, 2013

5 years of blogging

5 years ago I wrote my first post on this blog and yet it feels like yesterday. I guess time can be like that when one enjoys what is doing. And I enjoyed immensely writing about my love for books, speculative fiction and art. There were times when I was not completely satisfied with the work I was doing on the blog and times, especially lately, when my schedule didn’t allow much space for the posts I planned to write. But I still enjoy talking about books and art. Even more than 5 years ago.

Time doesn’t stand still and neither the things around us. Plenty of changes came to pass in the last 5 years. Referring to everything related to this blog, the way I read books changed dramatically. I didn’t become more critical, but more analytical and I like to think that my perspective broadened because of it. The way I chose the books I read changed and although the past year has been a bit unfortunate in some of these choices I still believe that I am able to make a better selection of my readings now than 5 years ago. I discovered the small presses. I knew that they existed, but I didn’t pay much attention or I wasn’t aware of some of them before. I do now, because there were a series of small treasures published by independent presses I had the pleasure to read that I don’t think that would have found a home in the larger publishing houses. Thanks to them I also fell in love with a few very talented writers who I wouldn’t have discovered otherwise. I re-discovered the beauty of short fiction and my love for these wonderful stories grew larger then before. I met, virtually for now, some fantastic people over these past 5 years, too many to name here, and hopefully I would be able to say a proper hello to some of them at this year’s World Fantasy Convention. There were 5 full years.

What future holds is difficult to say. Life has a way of its own and some of the plans I made for this blog took a step back because of other things than reading and blogging. Wonderful and amazing things nonetheless. Those plans are still there, but I am not sure when and how they would come to happen. They might not be a priority at the moment, but they would not be entirely neglected. With all these in mind I am looking forward to more blogging about books, speculative fiction and art. And as long as it gives me joy I’ll be here. It might not be as often as before, but I’ll be here.

9 comments:

ediFanoB said...

Congratulations Mihai!

You are doing a wonderful job. Unfortunately my time to visit blogs shrinked in the past months.

I wish you all the best for future!

Bob/Sally said...

Congrats on 5 years, and here's to many more of continuing to enjoy what you do.

Michael Haulică said...

Mihai, yor pleasure was our pleaseure, and thanks for that. And I have to thank you again for the presence of the Romanian authors and books in your blog. Happy anniversary!

Unknown said...

Kudos on five years, Mihai. Even at a reduced pace, keep up the great work.

Ben said...

Mihai, congratulations! I've enjoyed following you during your first five years!

Mihir said...


Many congratulations Mihai. here's looking forward to many more :)

Mihai A. said...

Thank you all very much! I am looking forward to see you around in the near future too. ;)

Unknown said...

Hey, massive congrats Mihai! Five internet years is like a lifetime in the real world, so huge props to you for going strong through it all.

Mihai A. said...

Thank you, Niall! It does feel a bit longer than 5 years. ;)